September 10, 2015 – Scion presents Formula DRIFT Canada entered Autodrome St. Eustache for the 8th Round of the inaugural Formula DRIFT World Championship. Fredric Aasbo in the Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Tire / Scion tC take the victory to extend his World Championship points lead.
Formula DRIFT Canada at Autodrome St. Eustache was the second world championship round outside of the U.S. Thousands of fans came to witness the on-track action from 39 drivers that represented 8 different countries including the home country of Canada.
“Canada has shown to be a valuable market for the Sport and the Series. The fans here proved once again that they are some of the most enthusiastic fans in the world,” said Jim Liaw, President of Formula DRIFT. “The drivers awarded the fans with a dynamic and dramatic competition.”
The semi-finals pitted two World Championship contenders, Fredric Aasbo and Matt Field in a battle against each other. A mechanical issue with Field’s car caused a sudden power shut off which forced his car to straighten out giving Aasbo the win to advance to the finals. The other semi-final match-up was an all-Canadian battle between two Quebec locals, Tomy Boisvert-Bellemare in his Signature KCS Nissan S13 and Marc Landreville in his Perry Performance Nissan S14. Bellemare edged out Landreville to get to the finals to face World Championship points leader Aasbo.
In the final head-to-head battle, Boisvert-Bellemare challenged Aasbo with aggressive and close driving. Both drivers were near perfect in their lead and chase run, but a slight correction by Bellemare helped the judges make the unanimous decision giving Aasbo the victory.
“Hats off to all the local competitors who welcomed us to their home and put on an amazing show here this weekend in St. Eustache,” said Fredric Aasbo, winner of Formula DRIFT Canada. “The win here was the icing on the cake and great momentum for the team as we head into Irwindale next month.”
The 2015 Formula DRIFT World, Pro, and PRO2 Championships will continue to Irwindale Speedway: Final Fight on October 9-10 just outside of Los Angeles, California. For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com and find Formula DRIFT on Instagram, Facebookand Twitter. Tune into Formula DRIFT on CBS Sports and check your local listings for airtimes.
Formula DRIFT Canada: Autodrome St. Eustache Event Results
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC Winner
2. Boisvert-Bellemare, Tomy Signature KCS Nissan S13 2nd Place
3. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Tire Nissan S14 3rd Place
4. Landreville, Marc Perry Performance Nissan S14 4th Place
5. Ng, Charles Maxxis / Sparkplug . com / Speedhunters Infiniti G37 5th Place
6. Wang, Forrest Get Nuts Lab Nissan S15 6th Place
7. Kearney, Dean Oracle Lighting / Achilles Motorsports Dodge Viper 7th Place
8. Ovcharik, Miro N/A 8th Place
9. Laflamme, Jeff Chez Dan Mechanic Lexus IS 9th Place
10. Cyr, Pat Eneos Oil / Yokohama Tire Scion FR-S 10th Place
11. Bakchis, Odi Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 11th Place
12. Nishida, Robbie Achilles Radial Infiniti G37S 12th Place
13. Baribeau, Mats Gold in The Net Toyota Mark II 13th Place
14. Guitard, Jonathan Lacroix Tuning / Go Fast Lexus SC 14th Place
15. Grosselin, Alex Redline Auto Aesthetics / Hyperforme Nissan S14 15th Place
16. Patinka, Bob Patinka Motorsports / BC Racing Nissan S13 16th Place
2015 Formula DRIFT World Championship Standings
1. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Hankook Scion tC 587.00 Points
2. Bakchis, Odi Feal Suspension / ARK Performance / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX 432.00 Points
3. Field, Matt CX Racing / Yokohama Tire Nissan S14 331.00 Points